In 1905 the Order Sons of Italy was founded in North America.
The Italian community of Brantford joined the Order Sons of Italy of Ontario in 1934 and named their Club Pontinia Lodge.
Pontinia Lodge of mixed male and female members of OSIO was a predecessor of Rossini Lodge that was formed in Brantford in 1953.
The Pontinia Lodge itself exited for only a relatively brief of time roughly from 1934 to 1940. Before its activities were interrupted by internment and the Second World War. During the period Pontinia Lodge was in existence, it offered to the people of Brantford, among other benefits, an educational program in Italian and in English.
Pontinia Lodge was organized mainly to promote Italian culture and traditions and even managed to promote and maintain a juvenile lodge, the Sabaudia.
The new Lodge Pontinia came into being through the organizing efforts of a certain Frank Merrill of Brantford, and it was inaugurated in the Oddfellows` Hall In that community in September 1934. At the inauguration, a total of 50 men and women were sworn, including a strong nucleus of young people.